According to Fabrizio Romano, Chelsea is in danger of making yet another transfer blunder, with their attempt to sign Cesare Casadei from Inter Milan being hijacked by Nice.
According to Italian media, the French club is willing to pay more for Casadei, which means the Blues may miss out on their long-term target, as they did with Jules Kounde, who chose to join Barcelona instead.
Chelsea have held extensive talks to sign the 19-year-old this summer, and Inter have already turned down two offers.
Casadei has yet to make his Inter debut, but the midfielder is widely regarded as one of Italy’s brightest young prospects.
Inter are demanding a fee of £20 million for Casadei, but they also want the option of signing him back from Chelsea in the coming years.
However, Chelsea is unwilling to allow Inter to have a buyback clause because they see Casadei as an important part of their future plans.
Chelsea’s academy chief Neil Bath has scouted Casadei extensively, and the club is hopeful of completing a deal following the £20 million signing of Aston Villa midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka earlier in the window.
Inter CEO Beppe Marotta said this summer when asked about Casadei’s future: “Today he’s a young talent. He still has a long way to go before he can become a top player, but we’re very proud to have him with us.
“He’s training with the first team, he’s proving to be at a very good level.
“Right now I can only talk about him in positive terms as he’s above average for his age, and after that a lot depends on him.
“It will depend how he’s able to map out his future, because apart from the technical qualities, you also have to have the personal ones which are often more important in football.”
- ‘This Is Now Getting Out Of Hand’ ‘Time To Sell’ Chelsea Fans React As Player Suffers Another Long Term Injury
- Followers fume VAR is a ‘f***ing mess’ after Vinicius escapes with yellow card for ‘karate chop’ on Chelsea star Thiago Silva
- (VIDEO): Watch Full Highlights and goals of Fulham 0-2 Chelsea in the Premier League
- CHE 2-0 FUL: Chelsea star wins man of the match award after his brilliant performance against Fulham
- CHE 2-0 FUL: EPL Table After Chelsea Won Against Fulham To Close The Gap On Man United